The stories of the real Strong Women
Want to know the real story behind Ellen Canavan in Cut From Strong Cloth? Book clubs may contact me to set up a Skype chat. In the meantime, here are a few questions for your group.
- Remember when Ellen was denied the privilege of having her own independent bank account? Have you ever experienced a situation in your own life when you were discriminated against, simply because you were a female?
- Do you think that Patrick would have felt the same jealousy about Ellen’s success, if she had been his brother rather than his sister. Do you think that his relationship with his mother fueled his jealousy?
- Philadelphia is often thought of in terms of the historical era of Benjamin Franklin and the Founding Fathers. How did you react to the descriptions of Kensington as the textile center of America in 1860. Did it change your notion of Philadelphia in any way?
- Readers often comment on the character of Nash Finch. Why do you suppose that his character was so alluring to readers?
- Readers also comment on Michael Brady. Is it because he might represent the guy who broke our hearts, when we were young and innocent?
- Even though Ellen finds out that Da was not her biological father, how did their relationship contribute to her becoming a strong woman?